By: Anson Zong-Liscum
Today’s business world has changed dramatically from the traditional styles your bosses and older generations were taught in school. Businesses before used to stick to being strictly domestic and stayed within close boundaries of their country. This is how most people were taught to conduct business and the only experience they gained through their past skilled experiences. Management was taught in strict, narrow minded methods on how to manage personnel within their respective countries. Many never took into account of business expanding into foreign territories and having to learn such unheard of skill sets in operating within those regions. Managers nowadays have much more to learn and keep in mind with businesses going international.
Some of the many skill sets that international companies have to teach to their employees include cultural traditions, customs, negotiating skills, foreign environments, and historical backgrounds. With everything becoming globally connected these days every company has found the need to enrich their employees skill sets in new, necessary ways. Employees must now have much larger skill sets in order to be up to date on world business happenings and technology that is continually advancing. Companies are looking at every channel to succeed and strategic goals must include international operations. The following are essential reasons as to why your company needs to look at international options going forward.
1. Stay Competitive: No matter what industry you are involved within today you will find competition continuing to go international. If you are continually trying to improve your company then an international plan is essential to your success as well. This doesn’t necessarily mean you have to construct a new headquarter in a foreign country, but should include operational methods on how to develop relationships and satisfy international customer needs/desires. In today’s world you will always have international customers.
2. Opportunities Abroad: Just as students are taking their educational studies to foreign countries to gain even more enriching opportunities, companies will find themselves in similar situations. What you may do successfully within our own country’s border may reap an even bigger award in another country. This may include new connections, resources, financial gains, and company enhancements. The opportunities are limitless.
3. Growth As a Company: If a company wants to continue to grow and develop a strong business culture around themselves then they must leave their cozy nest as home and take risks into newer territories. As I mentioned earlier in this post company’s must look at developing new channels for their company to improve and teach their employees new essential skill sets to remain competitive in today’s. No company wants to be looked down upon or seen as antique in keeping up with the new standards of today’s modern world.
4. Skilled Personnel: In order for a company to succeed long term they must have a talented, intelligent, and multicultural workforce that can take them to new levels. A workforce of different backgrounds and cultures brings forth new ideas, viewpoints, and knowledge that would have otherwise been unheard of in a workforce of similar backgrounds. A multicultural workforce is enhancing in many positive aspects and helps with your company’s expansion internationally. Local employees who are knowledge about the foreign culture give you a great advantage in connections, product development, and research or long term projects.
5. Take Advantage of Technology: Technology has developed for businesses in ways unheard of. However, one main important trait it brings is it’s ability to connect the world. You can deal with customers abroad, manage projects from a distant country, and hold meetings over a video conference. With all these highly influential and useful techniques at your fingerprints why shouldn’t your company be looking at ways to utilize these options to your advantage? Technology continues to develop and that is for people and businesses to put to good use.